A frugal homemaker...



...making our House a Home one thrift store find or craft project at a time.













Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Rain, Rain, Go Away!

I haven't heard the official word on how many days in a row that we've received rain, but it's a lot. Every morning my son gets up and says, "can we go swimming today?" and my answer, "if it doesn't rain." How many days have we been to the pool? ONCE! We have had a few nice days that we didn't go to the pool because we were at friends' houses, church, out-of-town, etc, but the rain is really getting old.
Don't get me wrong. I love a great thunderstorm and the smell of rain. At the first sound of thunder or the first site of lightning, I immediately go around the house opening windows and doors. It reminds me of when I was a little girl we would go out on my Grandpa and Grandma's porch on the farm and watch the rain. My Grandpa would say, "More rain, more grass for the horses". Now, I usually stand at the open patio door or front door and watch as the rain comes. I watch the water as it gushes down both sides of the street and dream of floating paper boats, sticks, or anything we could find to float when I was a kid.
But, not this summer. The weather has been really strange. We've had hail a lot of days, and tornado watches and warnings. If not here, then one of the counties nearby. I've seen lots of great pictures of funnel clouds that friends have taken. (I'm really jealous, because I love tornadoes and love to go driving to find them) I've often wondered lately if we secretly moved to Seattle or somewhere in Oklahoma because this is just weird for Colorado.
Well, in all my thoughts (and frustrations) I've decided to make a Top Ten Reasons Why I Love Rain. So here goes:
1. Because it's one of my most favorite smells! (and if it doesn't rain, I don't smell it)
2. Because I've only had to water our lawn two or three times this summer...and it's more green than it has been since we moved here.
3. Because I love the sound of thunder and counting the seconds between when I see lightening to when I hear thunder.
4. Because it holds many memories for me and makes me smile.
5. Because it's a true excuse to not have to do yard work. (although I love yard work, I love the rain more)
6. Because I love the feeling of cold rain drops on a warm summer afternoon. (I'm usually the one in the parking lot walking slowly enjoying the rain, not the one running for my life to get into the store)
7. Because I haven't had to wash our vehicles once this summer.
8. Because it forces families to spend time together, either playing in the rain, or spending time inside together.
9. It remindes me that God is bigger than me and is in control, and my little plans that might have gotten changed due to rain aren't really that important.
10. It's God's creation, why shouldn't I like it?! Find the beauty in everything, instead of grumbling about the uncontrollable.

He Reigns!

The LORD reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice. Psalm 97:1

No comments:

Post a Comment