Two years ago, in the month of December, Jason lost his job. I still remember the pain of standing in line at Walmart returning most of my kids' Christmas presents (all but the socks and underwear that they needed) so we could use the money to buy groceries instead. As a parent, that was one of the most difficult things I've done. As I sit here today and look at our brightly lit Christmas tree, I see so many presents under the tree that we cannot fit any more. Some are from grandparents, some are from aunts and uncles and some are from us. I also see what a difference two years makes on a person's heart.
Losing a job made us take a step back and realize what is important in life. Made us realize the difference between wants and needs. Makes us question each and every purchase we make. For some people, they are too proud to admit that they spend too much. That they want to keep up with the "Joneses". That most of their purchases are wants and not needs. So many people don't have a clue what it's like to wonder how they are going to buy food to put on the table the next day, toilet paper, laundry soap and gas for their vehicle to get them to a job interview when it comes around. I'd like to say, "please feel sorry for me", but that is not how I feel. I'm proud of how we changed because of these circumstances. After Jason got a job and we were SLOWLY digging ourselves out of the pit (which we are still digging, by the way) we made a commitment to take how ever long it took to spend our money on mostly needs and let the wants go. For over a year, we've been looking forward to December 2011 and the coming year of 2012 when we had things paid off. I can proudly say that for an entire year, we have done an amazing job and we've made it to December 2011! (even with an unexpected expense of replacing a tire on a vehicle a week and a half before Christmas!)
I am so thankful for a husband who realizes as much as I do how important it is for me to be home and available for our kids and not at a job relying on other people to take them places or care for them. I am thankful for a husband who goes to work each and every day to provide for our family. We may not have all the money in the world, but we've realized it's not money that makes a family happy. It's spending time together, getting by with whatever God provides, and loving each other no matter what.
Besides the budget changes, I have made other changes in my life that have changed me in so many ways. I am eating healthier, exercising and can proudly say I am 5 pant sizes smaller than I was in 2010. As I said in my previous post, my fitness goal was to log 2520 minutes of exercise in 2011. I am officially at 2420. (December 21st) Last night I spent an hour on the treadmill. 2 years ago I had a hard time staying focused and staying on for 30 minutes.
As I ponder 2011 and wait for the year 2012 to arrive, I can honestly say that even through the struggles and difficult times, I am blessed beyond measure. I have an amazing husband who loves me, three beautiful children who are caring, loving people and whom I think the world of and God has provided us with a warm home, food in the pantry, friends and family and so, so much more. I give God all the glory in all that we have. He is faithful!
Happy Birthday, Jesus! We WILL celebrate your birth...the reason for the season.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment