A frugal homemaker...



...making our House a Home one thrift store find or craft project at a time.













Tuesday, November 29, 2011

A Better Me

Some people make New Years Resolutions.  I like to be different.  It seems like autumn and the changing of the colors makes me want to change ME. Last year in August I began an adventure...to change me, FOREVER!

I started this journey at 228 pounds!  A size 20/22.  That's me above at around 228.  By October, I was in a size 16 and weighed about 195 and by January 2011 I was 183 and in a size 12.  Although I am excited to still be in a size 12 (my wedding dress was a 14/16 so it was early high school since I've been in a size 12)  I want to keep going on this lifestyle change.  At this point it's not about looks.  It's about being healthy and taking care of me.  I have been a member of Sparkpeople.com for several years now.  It's a wonderful website that helps track your calorie intake, excercise, etc.  Plus it has tons of pointers, tips and help in losing weight and getting healthy.  So far this year I have tracked 2200 fitness minutes...and my goal for the year is 2520.  I think I'm going to exceed my goal!  There is no way I could have jogged on the treadmill for even a minute a year ago.  Now I have no problem getting on to walk/jog and before I know it I've been on for 30-40 minutes or more.  I am one of those weird people who actually likes to work out.  I love the way it makes me feel when I am finished.  I feel like I accomplished something.  I have more energy to get through the day. 

Some things that I have realized since losing 45 pounds:
I love being able tighten my belt, until finally it just doesn't fit any more.
I had to have my wedding ring resized - smaller and it's still too big.  I had to donate the rest of my rings.
I am able to keep up with my kids (and some times am able to out run them)
New under garments were a must
Buying new jeans while still losing weight is not recommended.  Yes, I did own a pair of jeans in every size from 20 to 12.  (I no longer have my bigger jeans as I will NEVER be in them again)
My seat belt fits better.
Being able to fit into clothes in the ladies clothing section and not having to go to the "big girls'" section is so fun.  (I still find myself going to the "big girls'" section out of habit)
I was able to actually tighten the seat belt in the airplane...and have quite a bit of extra slack!
I have had to get an entire new wardrobe, including jeans, shirts, undergarments, jackets, belts, etc.  I am still amazed every time I put on my coat that I once could not zip and now it's pretty loose, even when wearing a bulky sweatshirt or sweater!  Thank goodness for Goodwill and Salvation Army to help me along the way in my journey.

I could go on and on.  I plan to use my blog as an accountability tool to keep me on track thru the rest of the year and beyond.  I WILL break my fitness goal.  I am hoping to be in a size 8 or 10 by next summer when our family goes to Florida to stay in a condo on the beach!  I honestly don't remember EVER being in a size 8 or 10.  Maybe middle school?  We'll see.

My Journey....to be continued.....

1 comment: