A frugal homemaker...



...making our House a Home one thrift store find or craft project at a time.













Saturday, November 14, 2009

Christmas

When is the "correct" time to start listening to Christmas music? I don't mean Jingle Bells, Deck the Halls or Rudolph the Red-Nose Reindeer. I mean the music that is all about why we celebrate Christmas. That sings about the birth of our Saviour, Jesus Christ.

I LOVE Christmas! I love everything about it. I love the music, the smells, the shiny ornaments and decorations. I love the mall when the fireplaces are going and Christmas music is playing and the "halls are decked" in red and green decor. I love snuggling together with my kids on the couch watching the fun Christmas movies like Elf, The Santa Claus, The Nativity, etc. I love driving around looking at all the brightly decorated houses, and seeing the Christmas trees lit in peoples' windows. I love baking Christmas sugar cookies with my kids on snowy days. I love snuggling under a big blanket on the couch with the blinds open reading a book while watching it snow outside. I love going to church on Christmas eve and being with friends and family all together worshipping and celebrating the birth of Jesus. Okay, I could go on and on, but I will stop there.

When I think of my past and growing up, it makes me sad. We went to candle light service on Christmas eve, but really didn't talk much about it being Jesus' birthday. When we went to church, it gave "Santa" an opportunity to stop at our house and leave presents. When my two older kids were small, we continued this tradition, except the candle light service part. We didn't go to church. We didn't talk about it being Jesus' birthday. We talked about Santa and all the presents he would bring. I think a lot of the world does this exact same thing. I'm not saying doing the whole "Santa" thing is wrong. I still love this part of Christmas. But the main focus should be Jesus! And it's our job as parents to teach our kids the true meaning of Christmas.

About four years ago, we decided we were doing "Christmas" all wrong. There would be no Christmas if it weren't for God sending His Son for us. Thus, the meaning behind the saying, "Jesus is the Reason for the Season!".

This year, money is tight for us. In years past, we would get an "extra" paycheck towards the end of the year that we used to pay for Christmas. This year, with Jason's new job, we didn't have this. I usually finished most of my Christmas shopping by October or November. This Christmas, I haven't really even started. We've had some extra bills, doctor bills and dentist bills that have made it hard to save any money and since our insurance changed and we pay out-of-pocket instead of a $15 co-pay, we don't have extra money for Christmas. I'm not saying this to complain. I'm saying that God has used this as an eye-opener to us. It's made us think about what is really important about Christmas, and life in general. It's not about giving tons of expensive gifts to everyone on our list. Although it makes me extremely sad that I am unable to get my kids their dream Christmas gift, I'm thankful that we have a warm house, food on the table (even if it is macaroni and cheese), and loving friends and family by our side. And it has made me realize how many of our friends and family are going through this same thing. Let's face it, the economy stinks right now! Many of our friends are out of jobs.

I have always wondered why people went into debt putting gifts they couldn't afford on credit cards (I can honestly say, I have always paid cash for our Christmas gifts), going to parties that they didn't want to go to, baking tons of goodies that they didn't want to eat because of the weight gain they would endure.

So, back to Christmas music. I start listening to it in early November. It gives me the warm, calming feeling that I need to get me through the hustle and bustle of Christmas. It makes me focus on the real reason we celebrate Christmas instead of the stresses that can go along with it. This Christmas, I pray that we, and all those that desire a calm and peaceful Christmas, will focus on the true meaning of Christmas and not give in to the world's way of celebrating. To celebrate the way Jesus would want us to. By loving the people He has placed in our lives. Enjoying the things we already have. And being thankful to God for sending His son.

I know....it's not even Thanksgiving yet, but this is the beginning of the "holiday" season. And it's difficult to NOT think of Christmas when the stores all have their Christmas "stuff" out, Christmas music is being played everywhere you go, and the commercials are talking about Christmas present ideas. And shouldn't we be celebrating Jesus all year long anyway?!

Don't forget the reason for the season!

1 comment:

  1. Hmmmm. I think I'll pester you more often to update your blog. I really love reading what's on your mind and what God is doing in your heart. I think your "before and after" story of how you celebrate Christmas is a huge evidence of how God grabbed onto your family and he's got you forever and ever! I have not started Christmas shopping either for the same reason. We have never had a year where we could lavish gifts on people and I definitely feel the pressure, but I'm glad to be walking this path together. It's interesting, but I think my kids enjoy the month leading up to Christmas more than ripping into a couple of presents. Better run (literally--it's gym day--blech!)

    Love ya, Patti

    ReplyDelete