A frugal homemaker...



...making our House a Home one thrift store find or craft project at a time.













Monday, April 27, 2009

James 1:2 Joy in Troubles

I love God's WORD! I just had to share an example of how knowing and reading God's Word can help us all while going through life.
5pm on Friday~ we leave to do a 30 hour Fast for Compassion. Spent the night at church.
2pm on Saturday~ we all come back to our house after walking the neighborhood collecting cans for the task force. We had about 15-20 teenagers in our house so I sent a few of them downstairs to get some games. One of them came back upstairs saying,"Your basement is flooded". So we went downstairs, moved furniture, found the leak in the pipe in the crawl space (thank you, Brian), sucked up what we could with the carpet cleaner and left the rest for when we got home that night after finishing our fast. (oh, did I mention that we hadn't eaten in 25 hours when we found the leak).
9:30pm~ on our way home from church, Jason went to one friends' house, I went to another collecting fans, dehumidifiers, and shop vacs. Got home, unpacked air mattresses, food, sleeping bags, shop vacs, fans, etc. Then we went down to the dreaded basement! We had to rip up our carpet and tear out and throw away the carpet pad. It felt like a sponge. We put all the fans and dehumidifier in place and left the rest up to time.
Okay....this is where God's Word comes in. We could have been completely stressed by this situation and had it ruin our weekend. But, the whole time I was sucking up buckets of water James 1:2-4 kept running through my mind.
Dear brothers and sisters, whenever trouble comes your way, let it be an opportunity for joy. For when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be strong in character and ready for anything. NLT

I will admit, I was wondering what joy we were getting out of having water in our basement and having to do everything we needed to do to remedy that. But, remembering that verse kept me calm and focused on the task. Without having God's Word, I know I would have been very frustrated and angry and the many teenagers in the house would have seen a different side of Jenni! Thank you, God, for your Word and wisdom!

Psalm 119: 9 and 11 How can a young person stay pure? By obeying your word and following its rules. I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.

1 comment:

  1. Jenni, we have industrial-sized fans from when our basement flooded a few years back (Tori giving her Barbies a bath in the toilet, uggh!). If you need them still, come get them. Laura

    ReplyDelete